By now you probably know that I’m a sucker for chiffon and georgette fabrics, although they are difficult to cut out and shit to sew. For some reason I always end up buying at least one chiffon/georgette when I go fabric shopping and this might be due to the fact that these kinds of fabric are usually quite cheap 😀
So, of course I made the second Hepburn using a georgette I bought on Goldhawk Road. It’s creme-coloured and has tiny velvet dots. The fabric is see-through, so I had to line bodice and skirt using a light-grey/silver satin.
I only had a metre of the lining fabric, so I cut out the skirt without the box pleats and also cut out the variation with a shorter hem. I kept skirt made from the georgette fabric long and since I sewed a narrow hem instead of the wider hand-stitched one, this added another 3cm to the length.
As the georgette is see-through, I sewed bodice and lining together right on left side, so that the lining darts are on the inside and only the right side of the lining fabric shows through the georgette (much like an underlining).
I used the french seam technique for many of the seams, but did not add any extra seam allowance which is why the bodice turned out to be a bit tight (but it’s still wearable just not as comfy as the other dress I made).
I love how this dress is playful and smart at the same time and can’t wait to wear it more often. It’s a bit too chic to wear at work, but it will be perfect for going out with friends.
I’ve just finished another variation of the Hepburn, the one with the lowered scooped neckline and a mini skirt, yesterday. I hope you don’t get fed up with the Hepburns too quickly, because there are more to come! 🙂
If you haven’t got the pattern yet, it is now available to purchase and download here:
Stay in touch!