Bustier Minidress with Asymmetrical Overskirt – Hello Summer!
Phew, after a whole day of sewing and unpicking (but mostly unpicking) dress #6 of my 27 Dresses Challenge is done!
I have to admit, I’m proud of this one. This one was quite a challenge for many reasons. I drafted the bodice pattern using intructions from the Burdastyle Sewing Vintage Modern book. I’ve never sewn something so fitted and I’ve never used polyester boning before. But it turned out good and it fits perfectly.
Except for the bodice, I made all the other patterns myself.
I bought the fabric over a year ago and it had to wait in a box patiently since I didn’t really know what to do with it. I used part of the butterfly chiffon for my petticoat. The brown fabric was a mispurchase, really. I ordered it online and when it arrived it was not what I had expected. Its texture is almost like the flysheet of a tent, but feels a bit like velour. Its mainly viscose and wrinkles very easily. That’s why I thought it would work best with a very fitted pattern. With this dress there’s seriously no room for wrinkles.
This one was taken before I knew that I would get a bit of sunshine on a rainy London day. I just really like how the light falls through the fabric:
Hopefully I can wear it soon. The weather has been surprisingly good in the last few weeks. Hope I can have some ice cream in that dress without busting the bodice part 😀
Unfortunately, I did not have enough time (and nerves ahhh the unpicking!!) to take pictures for a tutorial on this dress. I’ve done a tutorial on asymmetrical hem dresses before, you can find it here.
If you have any questions feel free to ask!