Three things that happend in the past two weeks:
I finished garment #3 of my 27 Dresses Challenges.
I finished my first pair of shorts. (YAY!)
I drafted a pattern and fitted my first proper muslin. (big YAY!)
I did all that by sewing these fancy darcy/paperbag waist shorts. For getting the pattern I did a rub-off of the original Twenty8twelve by Sienna Miller “Darcy Shorts Tie Waist Culotte” a friend of mine owns *lucky me*. The website which used to sell the shorts even has a table with measurements for the different sizes which helped a lot with doing the necessary changes.
Since my friend has a different size than I needed I also had to adjust the pattern quite a bit. I never before sewed shorts or pants of any kind, so I decided to do the adjustment by fitting a muslin first. I had been reading books about pattern fitting recently,so I was quite eager to try my skills 🙂
Front and back of the shorts.
The Judy likes them as well (but they need a little bit more pressing).
I love the sewed on tie belt.
I even made the effort to make the bias binding myself. For that I used the leftover fabric of the grey sheath dress. I love when garments are as pretty on the inside as on the outside, but sometimes I just don’t make the effort (I want to get it done!). This time I did and I looove it.
The shorts have a zipper, a flap & button, press fastening AND the belt. I’m pretty sure they won’t fall off 🙂
Pretty close, don’t you think?
I love the fabric, although it’s different from the original twenty8twelve shorts. The original ones are made out off linen (dry cleaning, ewww). I decided to use a lightweight suiting (machine washable) fabric. It’s a bit thicker and warmer than the linen, so I probably won’t be wearing the shorts in summer but for now they’re perfect.
Since I now have a fitted pattern I bought a lightweight checked linen today (machine washable, of course) for making a second pair for summer. If I ever have time enough to do it, I’ll try to make a free downloadable PDF pattern. But I’m not sure yet how to make it multisize since it’s fitted. And I have to find out first whether I’m allowed to do that at all (copyright and stuff).
But I’ll definitely show you how to do a rub-off and make a lining pattern some time soon. So stay tuned! x