Hello there! Finally! A sewing-related post :) It’s been a while!
I’m happy to annouce that I finally finished sewing up my first jacket. (#15 of my 27 Dresses Challenge, btw!)
I scored 3 metres of a pretty greenish/blueish cotton plaid at the last fabric swap in Goldhawk Road and went through my pile of Burda magazine looking for a jacket or blazer pattern.
I came across this leather puff sleeve jacket which I really loved and thought I’d give it a try. It’s from Burdastyle 8/2013, #113.
As the pattern is supposed to be used with leather I absolutely didn’t know if it would affect the fit of the jacket if I used it with my cotton/linen fabric. No risk, no fun!
Well, as soon as I started cutting out the fabric, I learnt that working with plaid is annoying as f***. You have to be so so soo careful if you want the pattern of the fabric to match up at all seams in the end.
After six hours (!) of cutting I took a break and didn’t start sewing until a few days later. Sewing the pieces together was not as easy as I thought, as you have to match up the pattern at the seamline, not the edge of the cut out pieces (otherwise the lines will be off by almost 1/4 inch or more).
Look! I made it! Phew. Sewing with plaid is nerve-wracking! I struggled a bit with the zipper because the left front panel was a bit off after sewing it in and I had to take out my BFF Mr Seamripper.
After two attempts, I finally succeeded and now it looks like this, still off by a millimetre:
By the way, as the zipper was from an old cardigan of Mr Thisblogisnotforyou and the fabric was from the fabric swap, this jacket basically didn’t cost a penny!
Here a few pics of the work in progress:
The jacket turned out pretty well, but I started hating the sleeves that I loved to much in the beginning as soon as I tried it on. The puff sleeves are ginormous! I don’t know what the Burda pattern people thought or if it’s a typical leather jacket thing, but these sleeves are huuuuge! I look like an American football player. Or as Mr Thisblogisnotforyou put it:
Well, I’m still proud of the jacket. It’s the first time I sewed in a full lining and I doesn’t look too bad.
I embellished the facing with blue embroidery thred instead of edge-stitching it to the seam allowance.
Well, at least I now have an excuse to (finally!) get ticket to the Globe theatre to see some of Shakepeare’s finest.