The secondhand store around the corner had a huge seasonal sale a few weeks ago and they sold EVERYTHING for 1pound only. I bought quite a few things without even trying them on (they all fit like a glove) and some plus-sized skirts for the occasional weekend refashion project.
In this sale I found this rather ugly and way too long beauty which screamed “refashion!”:
First, I used the seamripper to separate the waistband from the skirt. Then I used another fitted dress I got at the sale as a template:
Tracing the shape of the skirt with tailor’s chalk:
I decided to keep the pockets. I had to come up with a solution since I had to take out some fabric in the front from between the pockets. To avoid awkward center front seams I made the skirt a wrap skirt;
After cutting, I sewed the side seams and inserted the zipper.
I topstitched the overlapping parts in the front and added 4 parallel topstitched rows as embellishment.
I had to shorten the waistband and ended up having an awkward seam. Since I wanted to keep the fastener, I decided to cut out a bit from the middle. I matched the seam up with the topstitched part in the front to make it looked a bit more planned
Fake wrap skirt almost finished:
I really liked the skirt at this stage, but I still had quite a bit of fabric left which I really wanted to use, since it wouldn’t be enough for making another one.
I cut the bottom part of the original skirt in half (keeping the original hem). I gathered the two strips and pinned them onto the skirt, marking the seamlines.
I stitched the strips onto the skirt (right sides together) and hemmed them.
I made the mistake of putting the fastener on the wrong side of the skirt – this way the flap is facing to the front, which looks a bit weird. Well, lesson learned for next time.
(Hello London! I think I need a tan!)