HACKING AGNES INTO A DRESS
After reviewing the pattern and showing you my wearable muslin, it’s time to get out the actual project I was working on.
The pattern and fabric used for this project are courtesy of WeaverDee.com. They very kindly offered me to pick some fabric along with a pattern for me to try. (As usual, all opinions are my own.)
I wrote about the pattern, the Agnes Top by TILLY AND THE BUTTONS, after I made the puff sleeve version as a muslin.
For hacking the pattern into a close-fitting dress, I picked a gorgeous navy blue John Kaldor jersey (92% cotton, 8% elastane). The fabric is very smooth with quite a cool, luxurious feel to it. It didn’t give off any fluff after washing and the colour didn’t fade. It’s quite a dark rich colour, but it was a bit hard to photograph which is why it looks a bit greyish in some pictures. WeaverDee.com also has other beautiful John Kaldor jerseys, the fuchsia and kingfisher ones look soo tempting!
The fabric sewed and pressed really well. When pressing dark jersey fabric you always have to be careful to only press from the left side of the fabric, other wise the bulk of the seam allowance might leave marks on the right side.
PATTERN ADJUSTMENTS & FIT
To make the top into a dress I used my hip measurements and lengthened the top all the way to knee-length shaping in below the hip. I’ve done this to a couple of stretch patterns, so I keep using an older hacked pattern as reference. You can merge any pattern by lining up the bodice and skirt pieces at the waistline. This is the reason why I try to copy all marks when I trace a pattern. You never know when you might need it.
I made the view with the ruched neckline detail and short sleeves. The original length of the sleeves was a bit short for my taste, so I lengthened them by about 10cm. I love 3/4 sleeves or sleeves that at least cover the elbow. They are easier to wear in colder and warmer seasons alike and look just so much classier.The dress is super comfy and looks great with tights and is also great for layering with a cardi or jumper. That is something you might want to keep in mind if you are planning to make the puff sleeves. They do look quite bulky once you wear a cardigan on top.
The simple silhouette makes this dress a perfect basic for different outfit combinations. The ruched detail is a pretty feature and also adds a really good shape to the bust area. I really like how the neckband is pulled slightly into a v-shape. It makes it look a bit less sporty. It’s not quite the heart-shape as shown on the pattern envelope because the neckband is a bit too bulky to be pulled down that far. But I like this look better anyway.
Will I make it again? I am really happy with this make. It came together in no time (2 hours tops) and is such a great wardrobe staple. I rediscovered jersey dresses this autumn and keep wearing them all the time until they’re all in the wash. I have to say I like the dress best of the all the Agnes’ I made so far (I made four different tops), but that’s just because I am not a jeans and t-shirt kind of type. Jersey is one of the fabrics that gets damaged through use and washing quite quickly, let’s see how this one holds up. I definitely see myself making tons more (just in case)!
Stay in touch!
6 thoughts on “T&TB Agnes Dress in John Kaldor Jersey”
Oh, I like this! I wasn’t sold on the Agnes before, but I totally see its potential as a dress 🙂 pretty 🙂
Hello, just wanted to make a little note that the opposite of the right side of the fabric is the wrong side (richtig/falsch), not the left side (rechts/links). I love seeing all your creations 🙂
Thanks! 🙂 I keep making this mistake and whenever I think I finally got it right, it’s wrong again 🙂