Ooops. How did that happen? Does she know this looks a bit…a lot...like a fairytale costume?
Yes, she does!
Sewing a hooded cape using a bright red knit fabric, I was aware of that. And I love it. Not only do I love fairytales, I also think that the cape looks chic enough to be actually worn, not only on costume parties. (I hate these by the way. Except for when they’re Star Wars or Burlesque themed.)
How did it happen?
Well, I’ve been wanting to sew a cape for ages (A proper cape, though. One you wear instead of a coat). But I knew I wouldn’t be able to finish it this season. And I’m Stash Dieting, as you know.
I bought this red knit fabric about a year ago (Yes, I’m a hoarder). I wanted to make a cardigan originally, but when draping the fabric over my dressform the other day, the drape looked like a hood and I immediately wanted to make a hooded cape. I started looking for inspiration and then made these sketches:
Pretty close, eh?
No, no magic happened between making these sketches and the finished garment.
What actually happend was hours of research and drafting.
If there was some magic involved, then it came from this book, which is awesome btw.
Following the step-by-step instructions, I drafted a cape pattern and a pattern for a loose hood. (This book is wonderful, but veery expensive. It’s worth it though. It also helped me immensely when drafting the bridesmaid dress.)
Drafting the cape, based on a standard Burda bodice pattern.
Drafted hood pattern – really no magic involved. Just a lot of measuring, drawing and patience.
I was afraid that my 2m of knit fabric wouldn’t be enough, but in the end I even had some left. Whoop, whoop!
After cutting out, I sewed all the darts. Then sewed the hood and cape together. Then I cut out a 13cm wide rectangle of the leftover fabric and sewed it on the right center front (right sides together) like so:
Patience, young padawan. It will (hopefully) make sense in a minute.
Folding this strip over, I sewed it onto the left center front of the cape (left sides together!!) like so:
I ended up having this:
I folded it over, so both center front parts overlap and the corners of the hood meet at the center.
I decided to skip making real buttonholes (after making sure I could fit the cape over my head) and sewed on 10 buttons which also secure the flap and help it stay in place.
I spent most of my sewing-time hemming the cape and hood by hand. Yes, it’s masochistic, but it looks so much better!
And garment #18 of my challenge was done! (Less than 10 left – happy dance!)
As I said, there was no magic involved but there was a unicorn. A grumpy unicorn:
I’m really happy with this make, especially since I’m quite proud that the final result looks so much like what I had in mind.
Although the drafting process was quite tricky and took most of the time, the sewing was super quick. A handful of straight seams and a few darts. Super easy! Should I ever be bored and have loads of time left (haha!), I might even manage to upload the pattern for you guys. Let me know what you think!
In the meantime, may the unicorn be with you! Peace out.